Custom Pub: An Introduction to the Canadian Labour Market
Digital teaching aids may be available for this title. All instructor requests are reviewed by our team before the files are made accessible.
The fourth edition of An Introduction to the Canadian Labour Market introduces readers to the economic issues affecting the market for workers. The concepts are presented in non-technical language without relying on mathematical equations. This book will help the reader understand the aspects of the labour market that play a central role in the determination of employment and earnings in Canada.
- Chapter Learning Objectives: Every chapter begins with a list of learning goals. These objectives provide a good study guide and help students to focus on the key lessons presented in the chapter.
- Weblinks – Internet references are provided for some of the topics discussed in the text.
- Discussion Questions – The questions at the end of the chapter have been divided in discussion questions and exercises.
- Updated Charts and Graphs – New data and information have been included in each chapter.
- Labour Market Issues Boxes: Economic theory is useful and interesting only if it can be applied to understanding actual events and policies. The boxes throughout the book contain interesting issues and applications of the theory.
- Summaries: Each chapter ends with a brief summary that reminds students of the most important lessons that they have just learned. The chapter summaries provide a review for exams.
- Exercises: At the end of each chapter are questions for review and discussion as well as for learning. Students can apply their newly acquired knowledge to these exercises. They can also use the exercises for examination preparation.
- Opening Vignettes: Each chapter starts with a short discussion of a topic relevant to that chapter. Many vignettes cover current issues in the labour market.
Table of Contents
- Part One: Introduction and Overview
- Chapter 1: The Economist?s Study of Labour
- Chapter 2: Overview of the Labour Market
- Chapter 3: Institutional Aspects of the Labour Market
- Part Two: Trends and Recent Developments in the Canadian Labour Market
- Chapter 4: Trends in the Canadian Labour Market
- Chapter 5: Employment
- Chapter 6: Unemployment
- Chapter 7: Trends in Labour Compensation
- Part Three: Microeconomic Theory of the Labour Market
- Chapter 8: Labour Market Decisions of Households
- Appendix 8A: Indifference Curve Analysis of Labour Supply
- Chapter 9: Labour Market Decision of Firms
- Chapter 10: Wage Rate and Employment Determination
- Appendix 10A: Wage Rate Changes and Unemployment
- Chapter 11: Wage Rate Differentials
- Chapter 12: Education, Training, and Earnings Differentials