Industrial Relations in Canada, 4th Edition
Digital teaching aids may be available for this title. All instructor requests are reviewed by our team before the files are made accessible.
The fourth edition of Industrial Relations in Canada examines the three groups at the heart of this human resources management field—labour (employees and their associations), management (employers and their associations), and government and associated agencies—and the current challenges facing all three. A new author joins this fourth edition, bringing new perspectives and further balancing the text’s coverage of both union and management perspectives, as all authors have been practitioners in the field. Part of the Nelson Education Series in Human Resources Management and built on a solid academic foundation, this textbook provides a comprehensive overview of industrial relations that will have students excited about this changing field.
- *NEW* More than half of the chapter-opening vignettes are new.
- *NEW* Statistics and information related to strikes, union membership, trends, etc., have been updated throughout.
- Each chapter opens with a vignette to introduce the topic of the chapter.
- "IR Today" and "IR Notebook" boxes found throughout the text are concerned with authentic IR issues and include examples, many from Canadian organizations.
- End-of-chapter resources include a Summary, Key Terms, Discussion Questions, Exercises, Case and References.
- Collective bargaining activities and arbitration cases are included throughout and provide students insight into the topic from a practitioner's perspective.
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1: Introduction
- Chapter 2: Labour History
- Chapter 3: Economic, Social, and Political Environments
- Chapter 4: The Legal Environment
- Chapter 5: The Union Perspective
- Chapter 6: The Management Perspective
- Chapter 7: Negotiations
- Chapter 8: Collective Agreement Administration
- Chapter 9: Conflict Resolution: Grievances and Strikes
- Chapter 10: Third-Party Dispute Resolution Procedures
- Chapter 11: Impacts of Unionization
- Chapter 12: Public-Sector Issues
- Appendix A: Collective Bargaining Simulation: Coastal Crops Ltd. (CCL)
- Appendix B: Collective Bargaining Simulation: Two Tier Contract at Community Grocery
- Appendix C: Arbitration: The Case of Robyn Andrews