Checkmate: A Writing Reference for Canadians, 3rd Edition
Digital teaching aids may be available for this title. All instructor requests are reviewed by our team before the files are made accessible.
Checkmate: A Writing Reference for Canadians guides students through the writing process of composition, from brainstorming to final revision. This clear, easy-to-use guide appeals to and is written for students using examples and models from a wide range of disciplines. The third edition has been completely redesigned, placing the instructional content on the outside of the page and the examples, sample writing, models, and checklists on the inside of the page. Joanne Buckley takes a lively tone and provides a flexible approach to grammar, punctuation, style, usage, documentation, and more, all in a readable and accessible format.
- *NEW* A brand new design. The trim size and layout have been completely changed and revolutionized! This new layout allows for a multitude of examples to illustrate the rules.
- *NEW* Recognizing the role that technology plays, advice on online research and email conventions has been improved and added.
- *NEW* Model essays emphasize layout in different documentation styles, including MLA, APA, and Chicago.
- *NEW* Sample bibliographies in CSE and CGOS are included.
- *NEW* Chapter 1 has improved coverage of audience analysis.
- A ground-up Canadian handbook.
- The text includes coverage for English Language Learners.
- The text uses an engaging and clear writing style.
- Checklists throughout help students explore and understand the expectations of readers.
- The text includes checklists, tips, and strategies on the writing process.
Table of Contents
- Part One: Writing Purpose
- Chapter 1: Composing an Essay
- Chapter 2: Reading and Writing in an Academic Setting
- Part Two: Research and Documentation
- Chapter 3: Research Papers
- Chapter 4: Academic Integrity and Documentation Overview
- Chapter 5: MLA Style of Documentation
- Chapter 6: APA Style of Documentation
- Chapter 7: Chicago Style of Documentation
- Chapter 8: CSE And Columbia Online Style
- Part Three: Grammar
- Chapter 9: Grammar
- Chapter 10: Common Sentence Errors
- Chapter 11: Punctuation
- Part Four: Style
- Chapter 12: Sentence Structure and Style
- Chapter 13: Usage
- Chapter 14: Mechanics and Spelling
- Part Five: English Language Learners (ELL)
- Chapter 15: English Language Learners (ELL)