Checkmate Guide to Research and Documentation, 1st Edition
Digital teaching aids may be available for this title. All instructor requests are reviewed by our team before the files are made accessible.
Drawing on the successful Checkmate series at Nelson, The Checkmate Guide to Research and Documentation is a brief handbook covering the basics of research: documentation styles, i.e. APA, MLA, and Chicago; general research strategies; the basics of online research and of distinguishing appropriate and authoritative online sources; and ethical research and plagiarism. This exciting brief handbook will lead students through the confusing maze of research paper, report and essay writing. The Checkmate Guide to Research and Documentation is a powerful resource that will guide you through your academic career.
- Full Colour Design: a new full colour interior design makes this edition more visually appealing while a simplified numeric referencing system allows for easier navigation.
- Targeted Reviewer Feedback: Chapter 1 provides an overview of research paper format and preparation. It was intensively reviewed by Patricia Buckley, a recent MLS specializing in research, and her scrutiny ensures that the tools and techniques reflect the most updated approaches
- Detailed Discussion of Plagiarism: Chapter 2 provides a detailed introduction to the problem of plagiarism and includes strategies to avoid it. A screened box highlights techniques to avoid plagiarism at-a-glance
- Robust Documentation Coverage: separate sections cover each of the key documentation systems (MLA, APA, Chicago, and CBE) and make it easier for students to focus on the particular style they need. The latest versions of these systems (including the 15th edition of Chicago and the new editions, forthcoming this summer, of CBE and COS)
- Special Attention to Second Language Learners: ESL notes imbedded throughout the text indicate areas of special concern for those learners for whom English is a second language while a separate tab pulls helpful information for ESL learners together in one place
- Free 4-month subscription to InfoTrac: bundled with every new text is access to InfoTrac College Edition, a comprehensive web-based collection of full-text articles from nearly 500 scholarly and popular periodicals
Table of Contents
- How to Use This Book
- To the Student
- To the Instructor
- Tab 1 Research Papers
- Tab 2 Documentation
- Tab 3 MLA Style of Documentation
- Tab 4 APA Style of Documentation
- Tab 5 Chicago Style of Documentation
- Tab 6 CBE and Columbia Online Style
- Copyright Acknowledgments