The Shadow Line: Deviance and Crime in Canada, 4th Edition
Digital teaching aids may be available for this title. All instructor requests are reviewed by our team before the files are made accessible.
Engagingly written and incorporating up-to-date statistics and numerous Canadian examples, The Shadow Line, fourth edition offers a unique and challenging view of deviant and criminal behaviour in Canada. This text makes complicated questions and issues accessible by adopting a straightforward and animated style and by using concrete examples to facilitate comprehension and understanding. To promote learning and retention, chapters are structured similarly and include special-interest topics and illustrations in clearly defined boxes. Each chapter begins with a detailed set of learning objectives and ends with a comprehensive summary and a list of review questions. To encourage students to think independently and to read on their own, each chapter includes discussion questions and a list of recommended readings.
- *NEW* Chapter 8 (New Directions in Theorizing about Deviance and Crime) from 3rd edition has been incorporated into appropriate theory chapters.
- *NEW* More material on theory, especially current versions and applications i.e. General Strain Theory.
- *NEW* Incorporates current statistics.
- *NEW* New material on serial homicide i.e. Robert Pickton.
- *NEW* New information on firearm legislation, DNA testing, sexual assault underreporting and Canada's mental health system.
- *NEW* New section on Canada's new marijuana law.
Table of Contents
- Part One Defining Deviance and Crime
- Chapter 1 Defining Deviance and Crime
- Part Two Theories of Deviance and Crime
- Chapter 2 An Overview of Sociological Theory
- Chapter 3 The Chicago School
- Chapter 4 Functionalism
- Chapter 5 Social Control Theory
- Chapter 6 Symbolic Interactionism and the Labelling Theory of Deviance
- Chapter 7 Conflict Theories I - Contemporary Marxism, Left Realism, Peacemaking, and Post-Modernism
- Chapter 8 Conflict Theories II - Liberal Conflict and Feminism
- Part Three Measuring Deviance and Crime
- Chapter 9 Measuring Deviance and Crime
- Part Four The Practice of Deviance and Crime
- Chapter 10 Homicide
- Chapter 11 Sexual Assault
- Chapter 12 Prostitution
- Chapter 13 Drug Abuse
- Chapter 14 Organized Crime
- Chapter 15 Business Crime
- Chapter 16 Mental Illness