Rural Planning and Development in Canada, 1st Edition
Digital teaching aids may be available for this title. All instructor requests are reviewed by our team before the files are made accessible.
This book is a first of its kind in Canada. It is designed to simultaneously broaden our appreciation of rural planning and development in Canada, to integrate the richness of analytical and prescriptive perspectives in this eclectic field, and challenge our understanding of rural conditions, policy and practice.
- Address in a contemporary, interdisciplinary and critical manner the breadth of issues and opportunities before rural Canada, setting these within the context of globalization.
- Presents an authoritative, lively and highly informed analysis and interpretation of a breadth of issues in rural Canada's communities, regions, environments and economic and social sectors.
- Involves a compilation and integration of original chapters from the leading authorities in this field.
- Provides a contemporary and thought provoking interpretation of issues such as rural economic development, regionalism and shifting regional patterns of opportunity in Canada.
Table of Contents
- Part One: Life and Livelihood
- Chapter 1: Understanding Rural Canada: Implications for Rural Development Policy and Rural Planning Policy
- Chapter 2: Rural Economic Development: Critical Reflections on the Record and Potential Directions
- Part Two: Public Policy, Government and Governance
- Chapter 3: Policy, Power and Politics in Rural Planning and Development in the Canadian State
- Chapter 4: Planning and Management for Rural Development: the Role of Local Government
- Chapter 5: Negotiating 'Rural' and Constructing a Development Process: Rural Development Planning in Quebec
- Part Three: Living Here: Life Lines, Spaces and Places
- Chapter 6: Resources, Environment and Community: Conflict and Collaboration
- Chapter 7: From Land to Table: Rural Planning and Development for Sustainable Food Systems
- Chapter 8: Rural Landscape Change and Societal Values
- Part Four: Gender, Justice, Equity and Community Development
- Chapter 9: Inclusion in Rural Development Planning: Challenges and Opportunities
- Chapter 10: Community Development: A Cornerstone of Rural Planning and Development
- Part five: Prospects and Potentials
- Chapter 11: Theorizing Rural Planning and Development
- Chapter 12: Prospects