Ethics and the Public Service: Trust, Integrity, and Democracy, 1st Edition
Digital teaching aids may be available for this title. All instructor requests are reviewed by our team before the files are made accessible.
Ethics and the Public Service provides a framework for the discussion of specific ethical challenges that members of the public service might face in the course of their work. Additionally, and perhaps more importantly, it seeks to explain why an ethical public service is so vital to democracy and good government. It explores and presents the value of ethics codes, the importance of independent oversight, and the contribution of ethical leadership to the achievement of public trust, political legitimacy, and the integrity of government programs.
- Ethics and the Public Service provides a framework for the discussion of specific ethical challenges that members of the public service might face in the course of their work, making it the perfect book for students in Public Policy and Administration, Public Policy and Law, and Policy and Government programs in Canadian universities
- The text examines why an ethical public service is so vital to democracy and good government. It tries to explain the value of ethics codes, the importance of independent oversight, and the contribution of ethical leadership to the achievement of public trust, political legitimacy, and the integrity of government programs
- The authors explore not just what ethical conduct consists of, but also why ethical behaviour is so valuable
- The book's website houses the specific governmental and ethical codes that are referred to in the text: www.ethicsandthepublicservice.nelson.com
- InfoTrac® is a powerful online learning resource consisting of thousands of full-text articles from hundreds of journals and periodicals. By doing a simple keyword search, students quickly generate a list of relevant full-text articles from thousands of possibilities. InfoTrac®'s continually updated collection of articles can be useful for doing reading and writing assignments that reach beyond the pages of this text. Ask your Nelson Sales & Editorial Representative how to bundle InfoTrac® with your textbook!
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1: Introduction to Morality And Ethics
- Chapter 2: Moral Principles and Moral Theories
- Chapter 3: The Value Of Ethics Codes and of Ethics in the Public Service
- Chapter 4: Corruption, Conflicts Of Interest, and Other Unethical Conduct
- Chapter 5: Professional Values
- Chapter 6: Public Service Values
- Chapter 7: People Values
- Chapter 8: Disclosure of Wrongdoing
- Appendix 1: Values and Ethics Code for the Public Service [Federal Public Servants] Treasury Board 2003
- Appendix 2: American Society for Public Administration Code of Ethics
- Appendix 3: The International City/County Management Association (ICMA) Code of Ethics
- Appendix 4: American Institute of Certified Planners Code Of Ethics and Professional Conduct
- Appendix 5: Principles of the Institute of Public Administration of Canada
- Cases for Discussion
- Glossary of Terms