Creating Effective Learning Environments, 4th Edition
Digital teaching aids may be available for this title. All instructor requests are reviewed by our team before the files are made accessible.
By creating a strong balance between theoretical concepts and applied practice, Creating Effective Learning Environments takes early childhood curriculum development to the next level. This text helps readers see the curriculum from a child's perspective and understand how that perspective is linked to learning and theory. The centre of any curriculum is the child; this text begins not with general theories or applications that are suitable for many, but with each individual child. The theory and methodology of this text are integrated around the actual experiences of children, presented in a logical flow, and embracing current philosophies about integration, play, bias, and learning practices.
- *NEW* A new chapter on Emergent Curriculum describes the concept through the eyes of the child and offers insights into practical applications to guide adults in setting up and implementing appropriate learning activities, spaces and materials to engage children.
- *NEW* An updated 4-colour interior brings to life real photographs that are used to support the learning of the readers. The photographs and scenarios continue to support a visual journey of children's learning activities.
- *NEW* References have been updated to support current knowledge and philosophical trends in developmentally appropriate practices, child development, literacy, emergent curriculum, and diversity.
- The text presents approaches that embrace current philosophies about integration, play, bias and learning practices.
- Each chapter includes a section 'Recognizing and Planning for Diversity' specifically geared toward diversity concepts
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1: Introduction to Play
- Chapter 2: The Learning Environment
- Chapter 3: Emergent Curriculum
- Chapter 4: Sand Play
- Chapter 5: Water Play
- Chapter 6: Music
- Chapter 7: Block Play
- Chapter 8: Quiet Play
- Chapter 9: Literacy Development
- Chapter 10: Dramatic Play
- Chapter 11: Creative Arts
- Chapter 12: Manipulative Experiences
- Chapter 13: Math and Science
- Chapter 14: Woodworking