Digital teaching aids may be available for this title. All instructor requests are reviewed by our team before the files are made accessible.
Outdoor Playscapes takes a comprehensive look into all aspects of the field of outdoor play, beginning with historical foundations, through child development in outdoor environments, socio-political forces, outdoor space design, the role of educators, and ending with materials that can enhance outdoor play areas. This book is filled with stories of adventurers, visionaries, believers, and dreamers who all know the power of outdoor environments for young children. Their research, narratives, and models reinforce what we all know to be true—that we need to engage young children in the natural world where their mental, physical, and spiritual health can thrive. More than 300 colour photographs throughout this book beautifully illustrate the concepts presented and bring the subject to life.
- This book is filled with stories of adventurers, visionaries, believers, and dreamers who all know the power of outdoor environments for young children.
- The final section of the book, Curriculum Experiences for Play Zones, includes more than 700 experiences for children.
- The text contains more the 300 images of children in outdoor play environments.
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1: Historical and Theoretical Perspectives on Outdoor Play
- Chapter 2: Challenges to Outdoor Play
- Chapter 3: Benefits of Outdoor Play
- Chapter 4: Playscape Design
- Chapter 5: Playscapes?A Zone Approach
- Chapter 6: Greening Outdoor Playscapes
- Chapter 7: The Role of the Educator
- Chapter 8: Loose Parts and Materials
- Appendix: Curriculum Experiences for Play Zones