Canadian Criminal Justice: A Primer, 6th Edition
Digital teaching aids may be available for this title. All instructor requests are reviewed by our team before the files are made accessible.
Griffiths’ Canadian Criminal Justice: A Primer provides a succinct yet thorough introduction to the dynamic and complex Canadian criminal justice system for students without significant prior exposure to the field. In brief chapters, the text presents a current, accessible overview of the distinct parts of the criminal justice system as they are evolving in response to the technological and societal changes of the 21st century. The sixth edition includes updated theories, cases, and examples. These additions serve to enhance this market-leading text, helping to create a highly engaged community of learners who come to class prepared and eager to discuss the issues presented in the text.
- *NEW* Critical Thinking Exercises, and Classroom/Discussion activities, including videos and links to view online. In general, there are one of these per chapter, and for most chapters, a second one are available online.
- *NEW* New chapter: Chapter 13: Youth Justice
- The following boxes are throughout the book (all chapters): Research File, Box , Perspective, At Issue
- Class, gender, race, and inequality are themes throughout the book. These themes will provide the structure to incorporate emerging trends that fit within them (such as privatization of policing, drug laws, restorative justice).
Table of Contents
- Part One: Canadian Criminal Justice: Setting the Framework
- Chapter 1: The Foundations of Criminal Justice
- Chapter 2: Understanding the Criminal Justice Process
- Chapter 3: Considerations in the Study of Criminal Justice
- Part Two: The Police
- Chapter 4: The Structure and Roles of The Police
- Chapter 5: Police Powers and Decision Making
- Chapter 6: Police Strategies, Operations, and Engagement
- Part Three: The Criminal Courts
- Chapter 7: The Structure and Operation of The Criminal Courts
- Chapter 8: The Prosecution of Criminal Cases
- Chapter 9: Sentencing
- Part Four: Corrections
- Chapter 10: Corrections in the Community: Alternatives to Confinement
- Chapter 11: Correctional Institutions
- Chapter 12: Release, Reentry, and Reintegration
- Part Five: Youth Justice
- Chapter 13: The Youth Justice System
- Part Six: Reconsidering Criminal Justice
- Chapter 14: Going Forward: Challenges to and Opportunities for Criminal Justice Reform